Full Stack Web Developer (PHP) / Engineer
Based in our Hong Kong office or Full-time Remote (Asia-timezones based only, please).
We specialise in the design & build of high performing platforms & stores. We produce work that redefines category excellence and accelerates platform profitability.
We aspire to make technically challenging and creatively testing work adapting to the needs and scale of any project.
Our development projects span best in class customised E-Commerce & CMS platforms. We work with various PHP frameworks - most commonly CraftCMS, Craft Commerce & Laravel as well as Shopify Plus, Craft Commerce & Magento.
We’re regularly working with APIs to push and pull data from sources ranging from Inventory Management and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, Customer Relationship Management Systems (CRM), financial data feeds, and so much more. Our back-end development work is as much about technical architecture planning and clear multi-party communication, as it is about the accuracy of the code, and robust testing.
We're currently expanding our expertise in delivering headless CMS solutions for clients operating across multiple regions, and feeding this content using a mixture of CI/CD, GraphQL, and custom APIs to a chosen front-end is already at the heart of much of our work.
Without exception, project technical requirements are scoped out and budgeted against, and we are deliberate in never committing to work we are not confident we can deliver.
Mindset, Skills & Experience that we value
- Accustomed and experienced in the fast pace of agencies - we work on 3-5 projects and support 25+ clients at any given time.
- You are an extremely strong communicator - who enjoys making the complex simple.
- Obsessed with CMS technology & e-commerce and how the latest technology is shaping consumer engagement.
- You find solutions for complex problems and can articulate that to non-technical teammates, clients and stakeholders.
- Proven skills in technical architecture planning for CMS and e-commerce platform related projects.
- Deep, hands-on, expertise with:
- Open source PHP frameworks - Yii prefered, but Laravel/Symphony ok.
- Craft CMS & Craft Commerce a big plus!
- Knowledge and experience with e-commerce: Shopify, Craft Commerce, and/or Magento 2.0.
- Confident working with a range of cloud-based infrastructures at a server admin & DevOps level, with the ability to debug hard problems at every level of the stack.
Tech we work with
Full Stack Web Developer/Engineer
Based in our Hong Kong office or Full-time Remote
Whether launching a new ecommerce venture, or upgrading an existing ecommerce platform, the most important thing post launch is to attract customers to the website.
Expected Month 1
During onboarding, you will be brought up to speed by our Engineering team on all of Digital Butter’s development, project management and communications tools and frameworks (eg Asana, Slack, etc). You’ll quickly learn our design and development workflows, and will gradually be integrated onto various live projects with a focus on back-end architecture and engineering (PHP, generally Craft CMS/Commerce, Magento or Laravel). As well as front end development & CMS set up. You will also be introduced to the code-base for Digital Butter’s largest clients, in order to transition on to the account as the engineering point of contact for technical support.
Expected Month 2
You will be assigned to one or two development projects, working closely with the creative and project management team, under guidance from our Engineering team. By now you will be entrenched in our workflow and managing your own workload and scheduling via our project management tool, Asana. You will be taking briefs from our Strategy team and working with them on solutions to client challenges executing engineering sprints for the back-end functionality of projects (with some front-end prototyping in line with Figma UI designs).
Expected Month 3 and onward
You are now assisting Digital Butter with technical and architecture planning on new projects, and are working independently on various development projects, either new builds - where you work closely with our web designer - or updates to existing clients technology and infrastructure. You are now across all major clients and can put together top-level technical plans based on their requests for changes or feature updates to their current websites. Your focus is predominantly on back-end application logic and database structure, though you will be building out front-end as part of the process to validate work with our design and strategy teams, and the client.
Salary will be determined by previous experience.
- 18 days annual leave per year (Based on Hong Kong's calendar)
- MPF & Health insurance will be provided for Hong Kong-based applicants
- Fully Remote or Based in our Hong Kong Office (with optional 2 days remote work per week).
We'd love to hear about who you are, what you have done and what you can achieve at Butter! Include as much information as you'd like!
Please note that we will aim to get back to you within 2 weeks of your application. If you haven't received a response during this period, the application was unsuccessful. We will always welcome you to resubmit if you'd like!